Monday, June 18, 2007

Why a blog on infant feeding practices?

I admit, I never really liked history when I was growing up. It seemed like a bunch of facts, sometimes interesting, but mostly boring and irrelevant. The sciences always came easier to me and it was far more intriguing (although I didn't like dissecting a frog).

Gradually, I started finding history mostly interesting and relevant. I still don't consider myself a history buff, but I now understand that a knowledge of history helps us understand where we are now.

In comes this blog: Infant Feeding in History.

I live in a nation where the best source of infant food is the most shunned and is greatly misunderstood. Not only that, we are now suffering of diseases which for the most part could be prevented by our lifestyles.

It was not always this way. As far as our civilization has come, there are some wonderful things that we have lost along the way. Mother-to-daughter advice has been labeled old wives tales, and replaced with the newest scientific discovery. Don't get me wrong, I am not against science, and there are definitely some dangerous old wives tales out there. But there are so many areas that I believe that we were wronged under the cover of "science", starting with how we feed our babies.

With this blog, I intend to ask questions, and share stories, perspectives, resources and more. I do not have a political agenda, neither am I cruzading against the formula or baby food companies. I am simply wondering why things are the way they are now.

I also don't have much time to write frequently. As a mother of three small children, I will write as I have the opportunity. If there is enough interest, I can set up an RSS feed or something like that for those who really want to follow this blog closer.

So, in the hope this blog goes beyond this post, enjoy!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey Renata - great topic! I just read a really good book on this called "Milk, Money, and Madness: The Culture and Politics of Breastfeeding" by Naomi Baumslag. I was blown away by a lot of the information in it. I look forward to reading more from you on this topic. Happy Blogging!

Renata said...

Thanks Leah. I'd love to hear your thoughts on that book. Maybe you could do a guest post... after you have settled in to your new home?

Stacey said...

Sounds like a great new blog! I'll be checking back for sure.

Donna said...

Interesting! I am all about babies and mommies. I hope to be doing something like lactation consulting or midwifery in the future (still asking Gos what he has for me!)

Excited to read!

TulipGirl said...

I have a friend who is in college, a lactivist, and studying maternal public health and anthropology. She'd love your blog!

Renata said...

To all: Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment. It's fun to know that there will be people reading this. I am excited about this blog too.

Tulip: Please send your friend my way. I'd love to learn from her too.